Sunday, November 22, 2009

Typical Day in My Life


Today was just another day in my house.  Too much to do, and not enough time to do it.  My kids and I started the day off by going to church.  We then went to the grocery store.  When we got home, I decided that I needed to get the fireplace ready for a fire.  That included cleaning the chimney.  I had already bought the chimney brush, now I needed to climb out onto the roof and get it done.  First, I had to move that heavy cast iron fireplace out of the way, so that I could get the the chimney.  See, years ago, before I had this house, there was a chimney fire and a new metal chimney was installed.  Well, metal chimney inserts are one piece, and you can not acess the chimney from the outside clean out door, only from the inside.  So, the fireplace was moved out of the way, and the chimney was accessed.  I then inserted the chimney brush and climbed out onto the roof and pulled the chimney cleaning brush to the top of the chimney.  Granted, not the way a professional would do it, but it worked.  I then made sure that all of the fallen debris was cleaned out of the chimney.  Reinstalled the fireplace, and then spray painted the fireplace with high temp fireplace paint.  It now looks so pretty, and we now have a fire going.  Granted, this is not for everyone, and not recommended.  It's just what I did today.  After that was all done, me and the kiddos got cleaned up and had a wonderful easy dinner.  Now, I am just sitting back enjoying the extra warmth coming from the fire in a clean chimney.  No, I don't do house calls.

3 comments:

  1. Wow girl you are brave...good for you doing things all on your own. Where have you been?

    ReplyDelete
  2. they xall you the chimney sweep now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will tackle almost any task, but I do not like to get up on the roof.

    ReplyDelete