Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Water Woes, or are they?


My pressure tank on my well has been bad for quite a while. It has not been working for at least a couple of years, which has been causing my pump to cycle on and off repeatedly. For anyone who doesn't know, this is not good for the pump at all. It can cause a pump to stop working prematurely. Well, a new pressure tank has been on my list of to get items for the last 2 years, and today, I finally did it. I decided that it was time. As much as I needed the tank, I was also scared to get one. See, living on a well poses a whole set of issues, most dealing with pressure. I have get water pressure for a well, and didn't want to lose all that great pressure. Hence the reason for waiting so long. I asked a fellow church member, who is a plumber by trade, how much it would cost. Him being the kind hearted man he is, only charged me $75 (actually, when I first asked him, he was willing to do it for free if financially I couldn't afford it). He even told me not to buy the tank, as he could buy it at his cost, and it would be a lot cheaper. So, a new tank I got today. It took longer to remove the old tank, as it was severely water logged, then it did to install the tank. All said and down, a total of 2.5 hours of work he did at the house, I tried to give him more, but he was not having it. He refused to take more money. I know that he was giving me a break, being a single mom and a fellow church member, but I felt so bad. I know that he has a family to feed, as his daughter is in the same class as my son. I do appreciate the gift and am very thankful.
So, have you ever had a situation such as above, where you knew you were being given a great discount, and felt bad about it?

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely...our bug guy goes to our church and gives us an awesome discount everytime he sprays for bugs. He is so generous. I think that we should be thankful and let them bless us, because otherwise we would be stealing their blessings. Does that make sense? Our bug guy is doing it as a ministry as well as a job. Look at it that way and you will feel better. God will bless them for their generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. blessings are so hard to sneeze at! I personally think 'paying it forward' is what we should all do. You will find a way to somehow repay him even though you should just graciciosly accept his generosity! Like the response above!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, in 2006 one of my dearest friends took me in to their home and would not take any money from me, just groceries....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee, Zelda, who could that have been?

    ReplyDelete