Sunday, March 15, 2009

Bitter Sweet Memories

This time of year is always packed with family holidays, today is no exception. 40 years ago today my parents were married. Of course it is bittersweet this year, and tears will flow, but tears of memories and joy. No tears of sorrow are allowed. My dad would never have wanted tears of sorrow. We have nothing to be sad about. Sure, it's hard and he is missed, but he is the lucky one. He is celebrating with us. Having the ultimate celebration with God. Right now he would be smacking me upside my head for crying and I can hear his telling me to knock it off, but still the tears flow. Yes, I miss my dad, and will continue to miss him.

I am thankful for the time we had with him, thankful for my parents getting married 40 yrs ago today (in the snow no less). Thankful for having parents who loved each other deeply, and openly. Thankful for being loved by my parents. Thankful for having him as long as we did. Thankful for my parents giving me life.

3 comments:

  1. 40 years is a good long run, and it sounds like your family has much to be thankful for. Good for you for remembering that even while missing your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can I have the box of Kleenix now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful...Wow 40 years. That is awesome. Memories are the best...things we will always have.

    ReplyDelete